Energy and Resources Knowledge Hub
The state of New South Wales is the highest consumer of energy in Australia, with key mining, manufacturing and transport sectors driving demand for efficient energy supply.
The $90 billion Australian Mining Equipment, Technology and Services (METS) industry is a global leader in mining innovation and is a significant contributor to the national economy.
About the Energy and Resources Knowledge Hub
The Energy and Resources Knowledge Hub facilitates knowledge exchange between research institutes and industry, and provides a platform for engagement and collaboration across energy sectors and stakeholders.
The hub is coordinated by the University of Newcastle’s Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources (NIER) and aims to drive a cultural shift towards collaboration within industry.
Resources and projects
Projects completed by the Energy and Resources Knowledge Hub include:
- Established the Innovation Launchpad, to provide an opportunity for scale-up SMEs to work with world-class researchers at the Newcastle Institute for Energy and Resources (NIER) to test, pilot and demonstrate new technology leading to commercialisation and global competitiveness
- Established Energy NSW, a platform for industry collaboration to boost innovation and provide new tools and services to enable Australian businesses to invest, create export opportunities, innovate and grow
- Established METS NSW, a platform to increase collaboration and accelerate innovation within the METS economy
- Coordination of regular events and workshops in collaboration with partner organisations, such as Energy Savings for Business Breakfast Series, Growing METS Matters and Battery Energy Storage Solutions for Business and Industry
- Facilitate reports to inform industry and government on new advancements, for example the Utility Scale Battery Storage Report produced in 2018 to explore the potential for opportunities in utility-scale battery storage in NSW.