Business and investor visas
New South Wales (NSW) has a dynamic business environment that is truly world class. With our growing economy, the opportunities here are abundant making NSW the top destination in which to launch your future.
NSW has a diverse economy and a stable and low-risk business environment that is supported by world's best-practice financial and legal systems. Major investments in infrastructure such as roads and public transport are further boosting growth and improving services that support business in our state.
Supporting business migrants
There is no better time to make the move and take advantage of the abundant opportunities available in New South Wales. The NSW Government welcomes business migrants who plan to set up a business or invest in NSW.
To ensure NSW remains a competitive business migration destination, we are continuously improving our business migration program.
These improvements are aligned with the NSW Government's approach to economic development that focuses on enablers of growth and the state's priorities.
NSW welcomes entrepreneurs
As Australia’s capital of innovation, Sydney and NSW offer an internationally competitive and compelling location for potential entrepreneur visa applicants. NSW welcomes international entrepreneurs and innovators through this program and offers competitive nomination criteria for this visa.
Visit Visa categories and nomination criteria for more information on our commitment to make Sydney and NSW the preferred destination for business and investor migrants, including potential entrepreneur visa applicants.
Industry engagement program
On Monday 23 May 2016 we launched a new industry engagement program aimed at showcasing Sydney and NSW’s business and investor opportunities. The initiative promotes the business economy, education, healthcare and lifestyle benefits of moving to Australia’s premier state.
An exciting fresh video and print collateral, including a pilot roadshow to China, brings the program to life and demonstrates Sydney and NSW’s appeal to key migration industry stakeholders and business, entrepreneur and investor migrants.
Business Innovation and Investment (BIIP) visa (subclass 188)
NSW nominates suitable applicants to apply for a business or investor visa under the Business Innovation and Investment Program (BIIP). To be eligible for NSW nomination you must meet the NSW nomination criteria and Department of Home Affairs visa criteria.
The Business Innovation and Investment visa program is a two stage process for most applicants.
- The Business Innovation & Investment (Provisional) visa (subclass 188) is valid for four years and will allow you to move to NSW to undertake business or investment activity.
- The Business Innovation and Investment (Permanent) visa (subclass 888) is a permanent visa that you can apply for after you have fulfilled the requirements of your provisional visa.
The Business Innovation and Investment visa has five streams:
- The Business Innovation stream is for people who wish to own and manage a new or existing business in Australia.
- The Investor stream is for people who wish to make a designated investment in an Australian state or territory and want to maintain business and investment activity in Australia after the original investment has matured.
- The Significant Investor stream is for eligible applicants who are willing to invest at least A$5 million into complying investments in Australia.
- The Premium Investor stream is for eligible applicants who have been nominated by Austrade.
- The Entrepreneur stream is for people who wish to undertake a complying entrepreneurial activity that leads to either the commercialisation of a product or service, or development of a business in Australia.
Business Talent (Permanent) visa (subclass 132)
NSW nominates eligible applicants in the Significant Business History (SBH) stream.
Significant Business History (SBH) stream
The Significant Business History stream is for people with a highly successful business background who plan to be owners or part owners and have a major management role in a NSW business.
Potential applicants for this visa who are considering a business in property development should contact us before preparing an application.
NSW Treasury does not provide a migration assistance service. Applicants seeking migration advice may wish to engage a Migration Agent. Applicants who engage a migration agent should ensure the agent is registered with the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
Nomination by NSW
Whilst NSW seeks to adopt a facilitative approach, applicants are responsible for meeting requirements for NSW nomination. Nomination is at the discretion of the NSW Treasury.
Letters of release
NSW Business & Skilled Migration does not offer Letters of Release. NSW nominates candidates under the Business, Innovation and Investment Program (BIIP) because of their business and investment capabilities are able to enhance the state. NSW nominees applicants are expected to live and do business NSW.