NSW Government support for small business
Advocate for small business
- The NSW Small Business Commissioner was appointed as an independent advocate for small businesses in NSW to ensure their interests are well represented. The NSW Small Business Commissioner provides both advocacy and dispute resolution mediation services to businesses across the state.
Investment in small business by the NSW Government
- Business Connect is a personalised NSW Government program that provides trusted advice to help you start or grow your small business. Whether you are just starting out with a great business idea or looking to expand and grow your business, Business Connect can support you on your journey to business success.
- Boosting Business Innovation program is a $18 million program launched in September 2016, which partners with 11 universities and the CSIRO. Boost invests $1 million of funding in resources and facilities to help businesses start up, grow, innovate and connect with industry.
- The NSW Government has committed registered small businesses that supply to in-scope government departments will be paid within 20 calendar days of central payment departments receiving a correctly rendered invoice for goods or services provided between $10,000 and $1 million. This is to be in place by the end of 2018.
- NSW EPA Container deposit scheme Return and Earn is the largest litter reduction scheme introduced in NSW, and will help meet the Premier's goal of reducing the volume of litter in the state by 40% by 2020.
- Jobs for NSW provides grants, loans and loan guarantees to help innovative businesses scale and create new jobs in NSW.
- Sydney School of Entrepreneurship will help to build a strong entrepreneurial workforce by connecting university and TAFE NSW students with industry to train and educate our future generation of entrepreneurs.
- Resources for Regions provides funding to infrastructure projects that will improve local infrastructure in regional areas affected by mining operations.
Exploring opportunities for further taxation relief to encourage small business growth
- Payroll tax relief is available through a number of NSW Government incentives including the $6,000 Payroll Tax Rebate Scheme and the $2,000 Small Business Employment Incentive.
- Jobs Action Plan rebate provides eligible NSW businesses with a payroll tax rebate when they employ new workers in new eligible employment.
Investing in new skills for business
- Disability Sector Scale-Up program aims to support organisations to maximise the economic opportunities from the rollout of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
- TAFE NSW - Skills for Business initiative The NSW Government will invest $30 million in the Skills for Business initiative, which makes partial and complete qualifications available for business owners to build skills that are central to starting and growing a business.
- The Smart, Skilled and Hired program is designed to deliver outcomes-based approaches to deliver employment for young people and actively address the skills gaps in the growing construction and disability care sectors.
- Infrastructure Skills Legacy Program will capitalise on the NSW Government’s record levels of infrastructure investment to boost the number of skilled construction workers and create fresh pathways to employment across the state.
Creating fair procurement opportunities
- Small and Medium Enterprises Policy Framework
- Prequalification schemes
- Small Business Friendly Councils initiative
- Dispute Resolution
Making it easier to start a business
- Service NSW - Easy to do Business program
- WeAgree Program
- Rebuild Assist Program
- Boosting Business Innovation Program
Assistance for regional communities
- Regional Tourism Infrastructure Fund The NSW Government's $110 million Regional Tourism Infrastructure Fund supports regional tourism by funding critical visitor economy infrastructure projects such as rail trails, airports and cruise terminals. Improving infrastructure assists in attracting more visitors to regional NSW and makes it a more attractive place to live and work.
- Regional Development Australia is a joint initiative by Australia's Commonwealth and state governments that helps businesses access financial and other assistance to develop regional projects.
Providing tools to build resilient businesses
- Connecting Country Communities Fund is designed invest in communications infrastructure and deliver improved regional voice and data connectivity. This fund will build and upgrade mobile base stations, connect businesses to global markets and schools with innovative learning resources.
- Mobile Black Spot Program. The Australian Government is improving mobile phone coverage and competition in regional and remote Australia through the Mobile Black Spot Program.
- Get Ready Business is a free toolkit that has been developed in conjunction with the NSW Department of Industry, the NSW Small Business Commissioner and the NSW Office of the Emergency Management to help businesses get ready for disasters in five simple steps.
- Women in business The NSW Government is committed to supporting business women by increasing participation of women in entrepreneurial endeavours across metropolitan and regional NSW.
- SafeWork have developed the ‘Easy to do work health and safety toolkit’ to make it easier for small businesses to understand and meet their work health and safety obligations. This free kit provides a way to do a simple self-assessment, linking to relevant safety advice, tools and services. Come along to one of the Easy to do work health and safety workshops and find out how the new toolkit can assist your small business in becoming safer, healthier and more productive.
Page link: https://www.business.nsw.gov.au/support-for-business/assistance-and-support/support-available-from-nsw-government