Innovation Districts Challenges
The Innovation Districts Challenges are designed to accelerate the commercialisation of research products that address the impacts of COVID-19 by businesses in partnership with universities and CSIRO in NSW.
Challenge themes align with the NSW Government ‘Respond, Recover and Reform’ approach to COVID-19.
Who is this for
Small to medium sized enterprises that have a product or service that directly addresses the impact of COVID-19 (see eligibility criteria).
What are the funding opportunities
The total funding pool available for each Challenge round is $500,000.
- Highest ranked applicant $250,000
- Second-highest ranked applicant $100,000
- Third-highest ranked applicant $30,000
- Highest ranked applicant in each Innovation District that is not one of the statewide overall recipients will be granted $10,000, as determined by the evaluation panel.
Challenge One winners
Challenge Statement: Health and wellbeing solutions that reduce the impact of COVID-19 on the people of NSW.
- $250,000 to DetectED-X lung scan artificial intelligence diagnosis and education platform
- $100,000 to VBreathe anti-viral air filtration personal device
- $30,000 to EcoAid BioTech biodegradable, anti-viral coating and spray
- $10,000 to local winners: COVIU Global, Birth Beat, All Metal Products, Criticalarc, Colan Products, YourLink, Energisim, Pen CS, Moove & Groove, Halo Medical Devices, We Are Explorers, The Ripper Group.
Applications from businesses across the State were assessed by two groups of experts from NSW Health, the Office of the NSW Chief Scientist & Engineer, NSW Treasury, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Challenge Two – to be announced
The Innovation Districts C19 R&D Challenges are led by the following Boosting Business Innovation Program partner organisations.
Question and further information
Contact your local innovation district partner leading challenge activities.