Area: 63,521 sq km
Major towns and centres
- Wagga Wagga
- over A$1 billion annual agricultural and horticultural production
- Australia’s largest producer of wine
- about 50 per cent of region’s wine production exported
- major centre for defence
- manufacturing and food processing
- softwood forestry/logging and wood/paper product processing
- transport and logistics
- viticulture and winemaking
- services – tourism, education, research and development, government agencies.
Average maximum temperatures in the west of the region range from 14 to 33 degrees Celsius in areas such as Leeton, to 13 to 29 degrees in alpine towns such as Tumut.
Average annual rainfall is from 260mm in Hay (western Riverina) to 907 mm in Tumut (eastern Riverina).
Major competitive advantages
- availability of quality water and irrigation infrastructure – Blowering and Burrinjuck Dams have a combined storage capacity of 2,654,000 megalitres (more than five times Sydney Harbour)
- well developed telecommunications infrastructure
- reticulated natural gas and electricity widely available
- culturally diverse population
- good transport infrastructure with most major highway and rail corridors crossing the region and three airports (Wagga Wagga, Griffith and Narrandera)
- international reputation for food manufacturing.
Riverina agriculture is signified by an unmatched diversity in produce. This diversity is based upon dryland farming and the Murrumbidgee and Coleambally Irrigation Areas (182,000ha).
Alongside crops such as rice, maize and canola, the region boasts:
- over 25 per cent of NSW fruit and vegetable production
- 90 per cent of NSW citrus products
- 80 per cent of NSW wine/grape production
- livestock feedlots, sales and processing facilities
- almond and walnut production
- nearly 20 per cent of all NSW crop production and two thirds of its total value.
In a normal year total agricultural and horticultural production in the Riverina is worth more than A$1 billion.
Softwood plantations located in the town of Tumut generate over a billion dollars worth of economic activity and create employment for over 450 people. Major companies are Hyne, Visy, and CHH.
Food processing and manufacturing
Food processing accounts for 20% of the Gross Regional Product. This includes:
- food research
- production of vegetable, meat and fruit products
- fibre processing
The Riverina is a major national centre for defence. Both the Australian Army and Royal Australian Air Force maintain a strong presence in the region and play an integral role in the local economy.
The A$200 million Royal Australian Navy Defence Communications Station makes the Riverina home to some of the most advanced communication technology in the world.
Most major highway and rail corridors cross the region. Two commercial airlines provide regular services to Sydney and Melbourne from Wagga Wagga and Griffith.
Information and Communications Technology (ICT)
Efficient ICT infrastructure built around the high capacity fibre optic trunk link (Sydney–Melbourne) that runs through Wagga Wagga.
Major educational facilities
- Charles Sturt University - Riverina Campus, Wagga Wagga
- Riverina Institute of TAFE
Research and development
- NSW Trade & Investment
- Wagga Wagga Agricultural Institute
- Yanco Agricultural Research Centre
- Inland Fisheries Centre
- Charles Sturt University
- NSW Trade & Investment
Major defence facilities
- The Royal Australian Navy Defence Communications Station – 25 km east of Boree Creek
- Australian Army Base Kapooka – 1st Recruit Training Battalion, Wagga Wagga
- RAAF Base – Forest Hill
For more information contact:NSW Trade & Investment
Wagga Wagga Office
48 Fitzmaurice Street
PO Box 1156
Wagga Wagga NSW 2650
Tel: (02) 6921 6422
Fax: (02) 6921 0780
Regional Development Australia – Riverina
Tel: (02) 6921 1007
Talk to an expert
Office of Regional DevelopmentPhone: +61 (2) 9338 6719
or send an email to:Email:email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
Related assistance and support
Upcoming eventsNewsletter RSS
- 01/03/2014Asian export opportunity for NSW Agrifood industry
- 24/03/2014Energy Efficiency and Renewables in Buildings Conference 2014
- 27/03/2014Collaborative Solutions - e-Health pitching & networking event
- 10/04/2014Australian Technologies Competition pre-entry workshop
- 06/05/2014Arabian Gateway Global Gathering Conference