Standard & cost of living
Australia's quality of life is consistently rated at or near the top in Asia and globally, according to the the IMD World Competitiveness Yearbook. In 2012, IMD rated Australia first in the Asia Pacific and fifth in the world. It's a country where the quality of life achievable is very high, employment prospects are plentiful, education is world class and health care readily available.
Australia is blessed with fine weather, friendly people and a stunning and diverse natural landscape. Its lifestyle is similar to that of North America and Europe when it comes to work and leisure, and Australia and North America share similar legal systems, education systems and business cultures.
Among the most multicultural cities in the Asia Pacific, Sydney's cultural diversity has produced a society that is creative, open and friendly. Sydney offers a secure environment for families, with excellent facilities, transport and telecommunications.
Find out more about living in NSW:
- Visas, salaries and taxes explains visas, citizenship, salaries and the taxation system
- Getting Around provides information about drivers' licences, owning a car, and public transport
- Education and Training gives an overview of the education system, including public and school holidays
- Health Care outlines the health system including health insurance
- Residential Real Estate gives an overview of the market for renting or buying a house or an apartment
- Cost of Living gives an indication of some of the day-to-day costs
- Climate gives an overview of the weather around NSW
- Leisure and Entertainment introduces what people in NSW do for fun and relaxation
- Public and school holidays